October 13, 2014

Blog About the Blog



Ah yes, my first public blog post. Better not screw it up!

So this 1st post is simply a blog about my blog. For those of you in the corporate world, think of it as a meeting about a meeting…just try not to dread it as such.

Most of my topics tend to be basic and have most likely been written about before. I will do my best to give credit to the pioneers in this field who have equipped me with this knowledge and have paved the path for my own personal success. There are so many great authors and bloggers in this dynamic industry and I encourage you to seek them out and absorb their thoughts with great passion. I’d try to name them all but I know I’d fail and many of these folks have become a bit like family so I don’t want to risk that.

So what can you expect to find when you follow my blog?

Here’s a rough list of guidelines. Like the guidelines in visualization, they are not laws and I will apologize now, for they will be broken on occasion.

I Will:
  •         Post at least 2 blogs every calendar month (will shoot for 4)
  •         Keep blogs to 400 words or less (in appreciation of your time)
  •         Write with candor and request you do the same in return when leaving comments
  •         Write in compliance with what the pioneers before me have laid out as visual best practices
  •         Keep my content applicable for beginners and aspiring experts alike
  •         Convey my passion for this subject
  •         Write about Color, Chart Types, Visualization as a Process, Visual Analytics, Chart Types,     Dashboard Design, Tools, etc.

Visualization, or Visualisation for my friends across the pond, is not exactly rocket science but the devil is in the details. The commonly agreed upon tips, techniques & best practices we’ll discuss can be a differentiator between amateur results and professional results…and ultimately the difference between conveying your message clearly or not. In the end “Seeing is Believing”.

As I am new to the blogosphere, I welcome any suggestions you may have! Anything from subject matter you might want me to write about to functions you see on other blogs that are missing from mine.

And finally, my blogs are merely my opinion. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my past or present employers.

I hope that these posts will serve primarily as a spring board to deeper 2-way conversations.

P.S. I already broke the 400 word “rule”

Please feel free to reach out to me directly or simply follow me on Twitter @KevinTaylorNC

Will post 1st true content on Thursday morning (10/14).

Cheers!

Kevin A. Taylor

2 comments:

  1. Welcome dude, look forward to reading your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to a great start - looking forward to your presentation at the RDU TUG this Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete