June 26, 2015

Dashboard Layout Re-Thought

Having studied data visualization and dashboard design for many years, I had been programmed to regard screen space in a very particular way.

You may have seen something similar to this picture before:




According to this, the upper left part of your screen (or dashboard) should always contain your most important data, or what you hope to emphasize.

Others describe the layout in terms of following the shape of the letter “Z”. The upper left is the most important, followed by the upper right, then the lower left and then the lower right accordingly.

With this in mind, I have always pushed my filters out to the right of my visualizations. This made sense thinking strictly about the approaches above.

Then someone challenged me on this, saying “Go out on the web and find me a site that has the filtering or navigation on the right side of the screen.”

Although there are plenty of exceptions, the majority of websites have these controls on the left side of the screen. Almost as if to say, “Here, Right Here, This is where you tell me what you want to see!!!”

Try it for yourself. Facebook.com, CNN.com, Gmail.com and even most internal corporate sites have the controls placed strategically on the left side of the screen, consuming at least a portion of the “Emphasized” quadrant.



So while approaches like the ones I had read over and over again are still very valuable in terms of where to place each visualization, User Experience should never be overlooked. For this reason, I have started designing most of my dashboards with the filters on the left.

Cheers, 


Kevin Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment